Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Desert of My Soul


                “Oh dear Lord, help me see Lent as an opportunity to travel into the desert of my soul, to travel in uncharted territory where I have never before ventured. I always found great delight in the adventure of traveling in an unknown area. The safe wide fire trails were boring, too straight and predictable. The little side paths always called to me. I always wondered what was around the next corner.
                “Help me now take this 40 day journey deep into my soul. Grant me the courage to step off the well trodden path I know so well. Show me the dark corners, the hazy turns, the blind recesses I always avoid. Walk with me; shine Your light of love into these dark crevices of my soul. Show me the vile creatures hidden in the woods; reveal to me the sticky swamp I have allowed to exist inside me. Shine Your light like the sun. Help me clear away the dead branches and the rotting vegetation so that Your light can dry up and nourish these dark areas. Help me remove the rocks that block the path to my heart. Help me set aside my fear as I peer around the next corner and into the forest. Turn my fear to excitement and set me on this journey armed with trust in You.
                “I want my soul to be clear and full of light. I want to be like a crystal clear vase, full of pure clean water. May Your light join with the light You placed in my soul so long ago. May it ignite into a blazing, blinding light shining clearly in and out of the vase.
“Lord, I want to go on this journey, no matter how difficult it will be. I can’t wait to see what is hidden inside the desert of my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment