Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Look Up

                “Dear Lord, I was thinking about about the last time I flew on an airplane and how I spent the whole time like a child with my nose pressed on the tiny window looking out in wonder at the vast world You created. I felt so small looking at one tiny part of the whole earth yet from so high up, I could see so much farther than when I am on the ground. I imagined looking at all of us through Your eyes. Everything looked so tiny and toy-like below. Oh Lord, we are so tiny and insignificant and yet You love us anyway. I looked at all the rooftops and I imagined how many people were under those rooftops and I wondered how many were thinking about You. How many were praying, meditating or talking about You? How many were ignoring You? How many were mocking You, denying You, or not even caring about You? Looking down at the large cities, they seemed so small. It would be so easy for You to annihilate a whole city; it is just one tiny part of this whole world. And yet You would spare a whole city for the sake of one faithful believer. How many people in that city below were thinking about that?
                “I looked at the changing land below; the dry flat lands, the rivers that bring life-giving water from the higher mountains, the white dusting of snow on those high mountains that provide the source for the water and how it trickles down through the mountains to the hills to the valleys and eventually to the oceans or to dry up in the deserts. I saw the landscape like our souls and the life-giving water as Your love which You freely give and slowly fill our souls. But we can so easily misuse the water and try to control its distribution, create dams that block the flow and change the landscape of our souls which You created and turn them into the vast dry desert with little fruits or living things growing anywhere.
                “Then I imagined a person wandering in the vast dry desert I was flying over. The person is lost, thirsty, can’t find food or water. I can see the way out of the desert from my viewpoint up above but the person is too tired and weak to even think about me up above. ‘Look up! Up here!’ my heart cries out but the person stumbles in circles, slowly dying. I desperately want to save that person but he won’t look up. ‘I can’t help you until you look up. Look for help! Look for me! I can show you the way!’ My heart aches for this lost person.
                “Oh God in heaven, how often do You feel this way? I was only seeing one tiny part of the whole earth. There are so many souls on Your earth. How do You care for all their needs?  How do You get them to look up and ask for Your help when they are lost? Lord, touch their hearts, awaken their inner senses. Hear the prayers of Your faithful as we pray for those lost. Oh Lord, I am so tiny and unable to imagine how You work but I am so grateful and happy to be one of Yours. May I always look up wherever I am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment