Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Why of the Resurrection



“Oh dear mighty resurrected Lord, I stand in awe at the empty tomb. Why does this vision stop me in my tracks and take my breath away? You are God, who created everything and everyone, of course You would conquer death itself and yet I stand fixed in awe. What really cements my feet to the ground is not so much the how of Your Resurrection, but the why of Your Resurrection.
“You did this miraculous, horrible, wonderful thing simply out of love, love for the Father and love for all of humanity. You did this for all people, those who love You and for those who don’t; those who praise You and those who curse You, back then, now and in the future. It is the depth of this love that I can’t seem to wrap my head around and that is what locks my feet in place at the empty tomb.
“The truth and reality of this love is as blinding as the sun. I know it is there in all its immensity, power and beauty, yet I really can’t look directly at it. The light and heat are far too intense for my feeble body. I can feel the effects of the sun, but I can’t look directly at the source.
“Oh mighty risen Lord, I am extremely grateful for this great love and incredible mercy. No one truly deserves this beautiful gift and yet, You offer it freely to all, even to those who beat You, mocked You, spat at You and nailed Your loving hands and feet - the hands that healed so many and the feet that carried You to the doors of those in need throughout Your short time on earth.
“Oh my dear loving Lord, may I never forget the enormity of Your love and mercy for all of us. May I never turn away from Your will or Your loving gaze. May the image of Your burning Sacred Heart blaze into my eyes and soul and keep me forever transfixed on You. As I stand at the entrance of the empty tomb, may I always remember not so much the how of the Resurrection, but more the why of the Resurrection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment