Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Your Whispers

                “Dear Lord, part of me wishes You would shout out to the entire world, ‘Repent and believe in Me, God the Father!’ like Jonah walking through Nineveh. Would anyone listen? Would anyone hear? I see people talking on their cell phones, driving their cars with the radio blasting, IPods in people’s ears, music in every store, televisions blaring to people both asleep and awake. So much noise, so much distraction – even if Your booming voice blasted through all these electronic noise makers, I could see people being annoyed, thinking there was a glitch in the system. How many would really listen to You? My suggestion of blasting the good news to everyone everywhere may not be the best way.
                “Your ways are always far superior. You don’t send obvious signs or speak loudly. Instead, You gently whisper into the hearts of those hungrily seeking Your love, whether they are aware of that hunger and need for You or not. You know our hearts and our minds; You know best how to reach each and every one of us. It may be through the love of a child or the love of an elderly infirmed person. Someone may be moved to tears through the lyrics or melody of a song inspired by You. Someone else may be moved by a simple solitary act of charity from an unexpected source. You are so much more subtle. The gentle whispers I hear in my heart move my entire being far more than any loud message shrouded in lights and sounds and images. Just like when You walked on earth, the miracles You performed didn’t turn everyone’s hearts. Many refused to believe. Your gentle loving ways were the example and sign that remained etched in people’s souls, both then and now.
                “Oh dear Lord, help me tune out the useless distracting noise of today. Help me tune into the gentle quiet stirring whispers You send deep into my heart. Grant me the ability to be silent. Fill me with the desire to earnestly listen for You Word, for Your will, for Your way. May I always cultivate that great burning need to be with You. May I have the desire to shout out ‘Repent and believe,’ but may my soul dwell in peaceful silence to hear Your whispers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment