Monday, October 8, 2012

Thank You for Silence


                “Dear Lord, thank You for showing me how to love silence. I am a social person. I love to talk, to tell stories, to laugh and joke. But there is something awesome about silence that I have more recently learned to appreciate. It is in the silence that You speak to us, touch us, move our very inner being, our souls. Silence is the language of the Holy Spirit and it is a language I am eager to learn.
                “When I am constantly talking, even in my head with my lips closed, my continual blah blah blocks Your words from reaching my heart. When I am talking, asking, telling – it is all about me and my needs, my desires, my questions. When I stop sending information out, then I can receive all that You with to send. Sometimes, I can’t even perceive what You have sent but I know that while in silence and in a contemplative state, I have been exactly where You wanted me and You sent me exactly what I needed.
                “I always want to understand what is happening but You have shown me that I don’t need to understand, I just need to be willing. Needing to understand stems from my need to be in control which stems from pride, the root of all human failure. The desire to talk also touches on being in control. I decide what I want to say, to share, to ask, etc. Instead, let me be silent to receive all that You send. Help me be open to whatever You send my way because I know and trust that You have sent it with great love. You know precisely what I need and when I need it so let me be silent, humble and grateful to receive it. Help me let go of my desire to be in control and let me float without oars in Your river of mercy.
                “Thank You for teaching me the beauty of silence. May I continue to learn the language of silence so I can truly appreciate all the Holy Spirit is doing in me to ultimately join us in holy spiritual union.”

No comments:

Post a Comment